Ongoing Activity Ideas
- Visit www.DesMoinesRegister.com/events for a calendar of activities that you can search by date, location, and type of event.
- Can-Play recreation programs for people of all abilities and disabilities Can-Play
- Brenton Skating Plaza: (520 Robert D Ray Dr – Des Moines) – Bring your family to the coolest outdoor ice skating plaza in Central Iowa starting November 16th to March. We offer public skating seven days a week. During the rest of the year, the plaza transforms into an outdoor event center. Private rentals and concessions are available year-round.
- GiGi’s Playhouse (6507 University Ave. Windsor Heights, IA 50324) – An achievement center providing free programs for individuals with Down syndrome, their families, and the community. Visit their website or call 515-252-7529 for their current schedule and programs.
- Train to Inspire – Serves individuals who deal with adversity in order to improve their social, physical, and emotional health. Their goal is to provide encouragement and relationships through new experiences or activities. Visit their Facebook page, or contact Tracy at 515-249-2255 for more information.
- Come swim & have fun in Easter Seals’ indoor, heated, lifeguard supervised, & wheelchair accessible swimming pool. Open year round for all ages. Every Tuesday & Thursday from 5:30pm-7:30pm @ 401 NE 66th Ave. Cost is $3/swimmer, staff can swim free. Punch cards are also available. For more information contact Kelsey @ 515-309-2375
- Get Air Trampoline Park (3799 86th Urbandale, IA 50322) – Every Saturday morning 8 AM – 10 AM Get Air hosts Special Time Just for You where special needs jumpers and their families are the only ones allowed to jump during this time. The atmosphere is calmer and the music is played at a lower volume. For more details visit getairdesmoines.com/events
- Des Moines Community Playhouse (831 42nd St. Des Moines, IA 50312) – Once a month the Des Moines Community Playhouse hosts Spectrum Stories for ages 6-18. The program is specifically designed to provide drama experiences that best support the development of pretend play, social interaction, and non-verbal communication for students on the autism spectrum and others who may benefit from this experience. www.dmplayhouse.com/events/spectrum-stories
Here’s a list of Kids Eat Free nights at local restaurants!
Fun Places to Go:
Greater Des Moines Botanical Center
Metro Ice Sports Arena in Urbandale
State Historical Society of Iowa
Other Event Calendars to search
Parks and Recreation Departments (sponsor sports teams, lots of classes, etc. for all ages, includes lists/maps to all parks in their city) Check their calendar of events, too!
Libraries: (most have play areas with puppets, games, puzzles, toys, etc. to play with)